Monday, December 18, 2017

All about my traumatic brain injury

             Hi everyone, this blog is all about my traumatic brain injury. 6 months ago I passed out due to my POTS. I was standing next to the hearth in my house. I suddenly passed out. I hit my head very hard on the corner of the hearth. I was unconscious when the ambulance arrived. My family told the ambulance attendants that I had POTS. There was a gash on my head that was bleeding a lot they took me to the emergency room. The doctors and nurses put 25 stitches in the gash that was on my head. I had not regained consciousness yet. They did a CT scan and found a hematoma. I was unconscious for 30 days. After I regained consciousness I was told that I had a severe traumatic brain injury. my family had left. I was all alone. I was sent home and when I got there I found out that they all had moved on with their lives. They had  moved to the USA. I still live in Australia all alone. I have had to learn to live with my symptoms and figure out how to live alone. Sure there have been challenges but it is amazing how much I have been able to learn to do all by myself. I am working on getting a service dog so that this doesn't happen again. But for now I have to be very careful. I moved out of the house that I lived in and moved into a smaller one and one that is safer for me if I have any more syncope episodes unannounced. I have been on an amazing journey learning how to embrace my new self. living within my limitations and knowing that I have power over how I act. Well that's all for now.
Best wishes,
Addie

1 comment:

  1. Wow that’s so inspiring. I’m amazed. I suffered a TBI in July of last year. I lost my memory and I don’t have feeling but seeing someone who has overcome so much be such a powerful inspiration to me and hopefully many more. With love MJ.

    ReplyDelete